Rabu, 31 Mei 2017


6. Affirmative &  Negative Agrement, Negation, Commands
We use the word so or too when indicating that one person or thing does the same thing as another person or thing. Also, the conjunction and is used to avoid repetition of the affirmative statement and the simple statement containing either so or too. The order of the simple statement will depend on which word, so or too, is used.

Study the following formulas for using affirmative agreement statements after various verb forms.

• When a form of the verb be is used in the main clause, the same tense must be used in the following simple statement.
affirmative statement (verb be) + and + [subject + verb (be) + too] OR [so + verb (be) + subject]


She is smart and you are too.
She is smart and so are you.

• When a compound verb (auxiliary + verb) is used in the main clause, the auxiliary verb is used in the simple statement. The subject and verb of the simple statement must also agree.
affirmative statement (compound verb) + and + [subject + auxiliary verb + too] OR [so + auxiliary verb + subject]


She should finish her homework and you should too.
She should finish her homework and so should you.

Mark has eaten all his dinner and Shirley has too.
Mark has eaten all his dinner and so has Shirley.

• When any other verb (except be) appears without an auxiliary in the main clause, the auxiliary do, does, or did is used in the simple statement. Again, the subject and verb must agree and the same tense must be used.
affirmative statement (single verb except be) + and + [subject + do, does, or did + too] OR [so + do, does, or did + subject]


I walk to school and my friends do too.
I walk to school and so do my friends.

Other examples of affirmative agreement sentences:

Our professor went to the theatrical production and we did too.
Our professor went to the theatrical production and so did we.

Jeff will be in Toronto and Elaine will too.
Jeff will be in Toronto and so will Elaine.

I have visited China and my brother has too.
I have visited China and so has my brother.

My sister was valedictorian of her class and my brother was too.
My sister was valedictorian of her class and so was my brother.

Their parents are going to the conference and ours are too.
Their parents are going to the conference and so are ours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



By :
Free Blog Templates